Thursday, June 10, 2010

Not-So-Teeny Bikinis and Non-Fugly Flats

Q. 
"Ok, I have two separate questions. Answer one or both and I'll be grateful.  


First, I am 31 and living in Dallas and don't want a one piece or a teeny bikini (hello I have kids but still think I am hot).  I kinda have a boyish figure (read I'm petite with not much there on top) and am short waisted and long legged.  And I am 5' 5".  What kind of swimsuit flatters and where do I find it?  I hate the ones with the high cut legs, need enough coverage of the butt that I don't get a wedgie and would like it to stay on and look cute.

2nd question.  I have a messed up foot and sadly had to give up my love affair with heels last year.  So what shoes do I wear when I really want to dress it up, and what shoes do I wear with jeans or shorts?  (seriously besides flip flops and tennis shoes I am at a loss)."

- Bridget, Dallas, TX


A.
These are both fantastic questions, Bridget. I think a lot of ladies can relate to what you asked and that the answers are actually more simple than you may think. 


To address your first question about what kind of bikini will flatter your athletic/boyish figure, let's address each component that concerns you. 
a. Creating Curves
You mentioned that you had "not much there on top," which means that you want to choose a bikini top that will give the illusion of a fuller bust to balance you out. There are a few ways to do this. One option is to opt for a bikini top that includes a ruffle. The strapless ruffled bandeau top below, will give a fullness to your bust area, while also adding a feminine touch (which will girlify a boyish figure), and the bandeau top makes you look wider up top because it runs horizontally across the body rather than diagonally (like a halter top strap would). 
I can't seem to find the store where the above bikini comes from, but I have found another bikini top option (a pleated bandeau top bikini, which provides the same curve-creating services) available at J. Crew below: 


This adorable striped bikini (below), also available at J. Crew, is yet another way to create curves up top. By wearing horizontal stripes on your bikini top, you are drawing the eye horizontally and balancing out the top part of your body with the bottom half. It's another optical illusion, but it works. (Note: I have the exact opposite body type as you -- I'm very curvy -- so these bikini options would, unfortunately, not be good choices for me). 


Now, to your next concern -- a bikini bottom that offers enough coverage, but still shows off your hot body, but won't give you a wedgie. 


b. Enough There on the Derriere
Because you are short-waisted and long-legged, you are part of the lucky few who can actually pull off boy short style bikini bottoms and not have them chop you in half or shorten your leg line. However, for a boyish shape, it really is more flattering to opt for something a bit more feminine than your typical sporty boy short bottoms. And make sure to go for bottoms that offer enough coverage across the butt. Choose brief, style bikini shorts rather than those super young, flimsy, low-cut boy shorts that like to hike up into your butt crack after one wear. 


I often choose to buy more quality bikini bottoms because the fabric is more sturdy, holds you in place, and doesn't creep and crawl. Then, I pair it with fun tops (which is easier to do when you have a small bust than a large bust like I do because there's less risk and tops are more likely to fit you no matter what. 


A ruffled boy short like the one below, once again, from J. Crew, is super cute and has a retro appeal. If it is too much to wear a ruffled bikini top AND a ruffled bikini bottom (which I totally understand isn't for everyone), a ruffled bikini bottom would be great paired with a strapless bandeau top that is either pleated like the one above or is cinched in the middle, giving the impression that you have boobies (see style below). 
 Here's a J Crew bandeau that would look great with the ruffled bottoms (but the bottoms in the photo below also seem to offer good coverage and look adorable as well):
And here's a cute ruffled bandeau bikini top from Target:
I hope I helped answer your bathing suit questions. Now onto part 2 of your question. 


I've pasted it here so readers can remember what you asked: 


"I have a messed up foot and sadly had to give up my love affair with heels last year.  So what shoes do I wear when I really want to dress it up, and what shoes do I wear with jeans or shorts?  (seriously besides flip flops and tennis shoes I am at a loss)."


a. Dressy Flats
Funny enough, I'm in a better position to answer this question than you might think. I currently have a fractured foot and am wearing a walking cast boot thing and will soon be transitioning from the cast to a regular shoe while it continues to heal. Lately, I have been to all kinds of events in this state, where one would normally wear heels and yet, I can't wear heels right now. I have to wear a flat shoe. But -- I haven't had to give up on my sense of style for one minute (and neither should you!). 


My solution has been to wear brogues (oxfords), which, here in NYC is a very popular shoe style, but in Dallas does not seem to be in stores (yet). When I was in Dallas over the winter, I was shocked how none of the stores had oxfords or spectators or saddle shoes! Maybe they have jumped on the bandwagon by now, but if they haven't, here's your chance to be ahead of the curve. 


Probably one of the cutest and least expensive ways to get the look of the oxford shoe (without the high price tag that usually comes with it -- usually $250 and up) is to go for saddle shoes. They are just starting to gain in popularity among the fashionable dandies here in NYC (I have a cute black and white pair and am just dying to order a brown and white pair, but my husband has put me on a shopping hold for the moment). These saddle shoes aren't the clunky, costumey ones that you're thinking of from the movie Grease, though they do sell them, so watch out what you are buying! 


The best source for saddle shoes is Muffy's. And the best-looking ladies saddle shoe they sell has a leather sole and is absolutely PRECIOUS on your foot. I have a pair so I know!!! (I've made the link to Muffy's go directly to the swingsaddle oxford, which is what they're called. They cost $115, but are well worth it. Here's a pic of the red and white version:


Another, more sedate style that costs less ($59.95 on the Steve Madden site) is Steve Madden's Tuxxedo Oxford, which comes in three different colors (below) and in black and white spectator (not shown) and is fabulous (I totally want all of them!):
Both the oxfords and the saddle shoes can go with everything -- skirts, jeans, pants, shorts, leggings, capris, tights, dresses. They might possibly be the most versatile shoe out there right now AND, when wearing them out, you get to feel like a modern Marlene Dietrich among a bunch of poor, aching ladies stumbling around on their stilts, er, I mean, stillettos. 


And you know what they say: Men invented high heels so that ladies couldn't run away from them. ;) 


Hey - I like a high heel as much as the next lady, but now that I've spent more than 6 weeks having to wear only flat shoes (read: stylish oxfords), I realize there's some grace and sophistication in brogues that you just don't feel teetering and tottering around on your toes all night. I'm just sayin'....


b. Casual Flats
I was a punk rocker in high school (in Texas) and all the preppy kids used to wear deck shoes, which I used to think were the ugliest shoe known to man (or woman). Then, 12 years ago, I moved to NYC and was exposed to this wonderful thing called Northeastern Seaboard Preppy Style and became fascinated by it. And now, I am moderately obsessed with it and find myself wanting to incorporate it into almost all of my wardrobe. This includes being obsessed over the following pair of DARLING Sperry Montauk Boat Shoes ($90) that I have been trying to find a way to secretly buy behind my husband's back, but can't figure out how I will explain them once they're here. (Hint: my birthday is July 9th). But I digress...here is the shoe...
This is a great style for just tooling around in the summer and is far more interesting than flip flops or tennis shoes (or as they say in the northeast, sneakers). You can wear it, again, with everything (shorts, jeans, pants, skirts, dresses, etc.). Also, since you're in Texas, you'll appreciate the fact that they cover the toes, which is very important during the summer there because in all the overly air-conditioned stores and restaurants, you get popsicle toes in flip flops! 


Also, there is, of course, the classic ballet flat (which, for a time, I became very bored with because I saw them ALL over the place on EVERYONE). But, it can be a charming style if you pick something interesting. My favorite maker of ballet flats is French Sole New York. They have an entire (albeit tiny) store, floor to ceiling, dedicated to ONLY FLATS. Bridget, you would be in heaven! (Zappos also carries FSNY). 


No recommendation for flats would be complete without turning you onto a Brazilian brand Melissa - purveyor of amazingly stylish plastic shoes (see picture above). Melissa offers all kinds of collections where they have collaborated with a famous fashion designer, such as Vivienne Westwood or Alexandre Herchcovitch. They do offer heels as well, but have many awesome flat styles -- and the best part is that they are ALL WATERPROOF! And even though they're plastic, I wear them to nice and casual events alike (everyone always thinks they're patent leather). 


The only catch? There is no Melissa store in the U.S. (yet) and they are working on Americans being able to shop on their website, so, for now, you have to be savvy when it comes to finding who carries Melissa. Zappos is currently carrying some of Vivienne Westwood's ultra cute, tiny peep-toe flats in several colors. See the shoe in red below:
Well, Bridget, I hope I gave you some useful answers to your questions. Please feel free to comment or ask anything else. Thanks so much for trusting Instant Stylist with your fashion dilemmas! The pleasure was all mine. (And now, I really want to go shopping!!!!) 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I am now going to go shopping for a swimsuit with purpose. And the shoes, oh the shoes. So excited. I am also currently restricted by the husband on shopping however a good pair of shoes(or two) and a new swimsuit are essentials more than splurges so off I go this weekend... oh and and the saddle shoes and oxfords, I used to love this style- still not seeing it much in Texas but that won't stop me. thanks for the advice. I'll send pics of what I find and more questions later I am sure.